Ideal Server Hardware Choice

Tony Dietrich td at transoft-adsl.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 1 08:53:40 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 00:39, Timothy Alberts wrote:
> Tony,
>

> So either we live in parallel universes or the Chinese are selling
> quality cheap parts to the UK and leaving all the junk for us poor
> Americans (oh no, I've gone political..).

No, I guess I've just been lucky.  I've worked with three 'local' suppliers in
different parts of the UK now for the last 9 years.

In that time, I've had:
1. Two hard disk failures (neither within the first 6 months.)
2. One fan failure (at 14months).
3. One BIOS problem (fixed overnight with a mb replacement by the supplier)
4. Three CDROM failures. (Overnight replacements from BenQ in London.)

In the first three cases, the machines were operational again within 12 hours.

In the first two cases, the parts arrived within 2 hours.

I keep track of the systems supplied to customers where I still have
contracts.  Every single machine I know about is still operational although
some of them have now been retired to lesser roles.

In addition to UPS's, I insist on separate surge protectors.  Have you talked
to your machine shop guys to see if they can surge-protect their equipment?
Sometimes surge-protectors installed on the culprit can work to prevent the
equipment generating the surge from affecting other parts of the building.

Otherwise talk to your electricians and see if they can physically isolate the
two power supply main boards.

Tony

--
Tony