Ideal Server Hardware Choice

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Wed Mar 1 09:42:03 UTC 2006

At 00:54 01/03/2006, you wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 16:39 -0800, Timothy Alberts wrote:
>

> > These systems have been consistently unreliable.  I've been through 3
> > systems that had CPU fans die over night and burnt
> > processors/motherboards.  Several banks of memory, a couple power
> > supplies, NIC cards that don't survive power surges (something we
> > frequently get with a machine shop in the building) and of coarse the
> > ever failing hard drives in the RAID arrays.
>

>Sounds like a good UPS would help a lot.
>

>--

I'll second the recommendation for using a UPS.
I've got three in my house - one for my computer
system with a reasonably expensive scanner and
printer attached, one on my son's computer and
one very small one protecting the DECT base
station for the phones, the answering machine,
the cable modem and the router, plus a Belkin
Gold series mains socket block with phone and
cable TV surge arrestors, to stop line surges
getting to the phone equipment or cable modem.
Since I did this, there's been no trouble at all with any hardware.

So far as purchasing systems is concerned, I've
not got a great deal of experience, but what I've
done recently is purchase quality parts from
known manufacturers - genuine Intel motherboards
made by Intel, retail pack P4 processors with
fans supplied, Crucial memory, Seagate hard
drives, cases and PSUs by Coolermaster and Antec.
Out of the few systems I've built recently, one
power supply died at about one month old and was
exchange under warranty. No other problems at all.

Just because a system is built by somebody such
as HP doesn't make it immune to surges. In the
days before broadband, we used to run an HP
Netserver at work. One day after a thunderstorm
the night before, the email stopped working. A
surge had taken out both the modem and the serial
port built into the motherboard. The rest of the
machine died a year or two later. So, again I say
ALWAYS use a UPS. I paid the full price for the
first one I bought, then realised I could get
perfectly good, latest USB connected APC units
from ebay for £20 or £30. A cheap price to pay to
protect equipment costing many times more.

Dave F