Ideal Server Hardware Choice

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 1 12:08:07 UTC 2006

Timothy Alberts wrote:
> I'm researching purchasing 2 new servers for our network.  Ideally I
> want to be 100% compatible with FC Linux (obviously).  Our network is 50
> clients with 164K internet connection (slow).  We run:
>
> -Internet gateway via iptables/firewall
> -DHCP/DNS for local network
> -Sendmail averaging 3-4k messages/day with POP3 via dovecot
> -Apache web for intranet with perl/php/mysql.
> -MySQL database is large, but access is maybee 3-5 clients at any given
> time.
> -Ideally converting to Tomcat application server for intranet (replacing
> perl/php).
> -FTP (maybee SAMBA again someday)
> -OpenLDAP for unified login, company address book
> -Remote access may be added when we get the bandwidth to support it...

Not to different from what we're running on a Pentium III 500 or so. New
drives tho: I prefer Seagate these days (five years warranty I home I
won't need).

Unlike David, I dislike Intel: 512 Mbytes of RAM for the 815 series
chipsets was never a good idea, its technology's been behind AMD for
years. For new, I'd go all-in-one ASUS, a Sempron CPU (cheapest), 512
Mbytes (maybe a Gb) DDR400 RAM. You could probably get ten of these for
around the price of an IBM server:-)

Note: bearing in mind what's been said hereabouts re burning DVDs and
2.6 kernels, if you might want a DVD burner, might I suggest Centos 3?
2.4 kernel, lots of life left in it. it's what _I_ plan to install in
some critical places RSN.

--

Cheers
John