Nit-picking, silly curosity question?

Beartooth Duffer beartooth at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 1 16:31:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:26:57 +0000, T. Horsnell wrote:

>>William Case wrote:
>>> Hi;
>>>
>>> I get all the messages from this mailing list.  Read them faithfully.
>>>
>>> Some of them come with '[Bulk]' as the first word on the Subject line;
>>> some just start with 'Re:'.  Why is that?
>>
>>Your mail client or your ISP is tagging the mail as "[Bulk]"; the mails
>>do not arrive here, nor in the archives, with tags like "[Bulk]".
>
> I thought the idea of 'Bulk' when used in a header-line like

> was so that 'vacation' programs would know that this message
> came from a mailing list, and would not respond to it with
> the vacation message. Maybe [Bulk] in the subject line is
> meant to achieve the same thing.

Certainly Pine for one allows you to have a header line saying Precedence
-- I have one; I remember putting it there, but not what for; I leave it
only because that's easier, inasmuch as my fingers jump over it. Some of
us may actually *use* it for whatever it's for -- or have a boilerplate
line all the time saying "Precedence: [bulk]"

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
FC4; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3; CXO 5.0.1