Faint hope : new printer drivers in FC5?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Mar 1 17:46:17 UTC 2006

beartooth wrote:
> Fool that I was, I bought a printer on someone's recommendation, without
> thinking to check whether it worked with linux. It's a Lexmark X1185 --
> which didn't then, and still doesn't afaict: linuxprinting finds no driver
> for it.
>
> So will there be any new printer drivers in FC5 that are not yet generally
> available on linuxprinting? If so, is there a list I can check mine
> against?
>
> Fwiw, I've been running an XP machine, just for topo maps and GPS stuff;
> but it's beginning to look like CrossoverOffice 5.0 (CXO) will be able to
> handle at least the most important (to me) of the proprietary suites of
> GPS/topo software that I have, Maptech and Garmin. But, I'm told on the
> CXO list, neither wine nor CXO can handle any printer that linux can't
> already run.
>
> So, if I take to running a clean OS on what is now the XP machine, will
> that mean I have one more bulky paperweight sitting around? Or is there
> hope with FC5 once I update to that?

I always ask, who makes the driver for Windows?  Is it Microsoft or
Lexmark?  Contact Lexmark for support.

I purchased a Lexmark and never again.  It had Linux software
available from Lexmark and I purchased it after reading the "windows
reviews".  The software was crap and the support was worse.

Since then I have found that Lexmark is more geared to getting their
printers into the market and then making a killing on ink cartridges.
  I don't think I ever managed to get a cartridge to empty, just to
quit working.  This is the same for hundreds of otheres that I have
read about on the net.

--
Robin Laing