System Crash Troubleshooting

Tim Alberts talberts at msiscales.com
Wed Mar 1 20:29:39 UTC 2006

Tony, thank you very much for all the detailed recommendations.

Howerver, I'm happy/embarrassed to report that I found the cause of the postgres sessions.  I have Webmin configured to do system monitoring.  For whatever reason, Webmin is using the postgres account.  When I disable the monitor, the session logs goes away (I swear I didn't see it in cron, but after looking again, it was there).

Unfortunately, I still don't have an explanation why the System logger is restarting every hour?  I will review your recommendations further and see what else I can learn.

Thank you again for the detailed response.