Disk Problems

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 1 21:17:40 UTC 2006

Charles Curley wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:21:01AM -0600, Wojciech Komornicki wrote:
>
>>I rebooted my FC4 installation only to find that it hung after loading
>>all the packages.  I went into rescue mode and running fsck on
>>      /dev/sys
>>I am told that I have a bad boot sector or that the file system is not
>>an ext2 file system.  Since I can mount the disk under /mnt/sysimage am
>>I running fsck on the wrong file system?
>

> I suspect you are.
>
> Run "fdisk -l" for a complete list of hard drives that have partitions

Even better, see what's in /etc/fstab: would fdisk show this?
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1

or RAID devices?

Well it does show them like this:
/dev/hda2              14        2498    19960762+  8e  Linux LVM
but I don't think fsck is quite the way to go.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait