Boot problem W2k/FC4 -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Mar 2 03:10:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 12:08 -0500, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> the problem in my case is that when I have an IDE drive in the
> machine, the BIOS treats that as "the first drive" and when I don't
> have an IDE drive in the machine, the BIOS treats the SATA drive as
> "the first drive". I think that is the main source of grub-install
> confusion since there is no inherent way in GRUB (or NTLDR for that
> matter) to specify bus/drive/partition ... only drive/partiton.

Does manipulating the /boot/grub/device.map file by hand do you any
good?  The next obvious thing, to me, is to install GRUB to both drives
with the same configuration, giving you a common menu to boot up to
either drive, the one that you want, no matter which the boot-up
actually starts from.

I read messages from the public lists.