strange wireless behavior

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Mar 2 05:44:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Charles Curley wrote:

> I can't explain it, but I may have a less drastic work-around. I had a
> similar glitch yesterday. I rmmoded the ipw2200 driver, and modprobed
> it. It's been fine since.
>
> I do have a lot of this:
>
> Mar  1 20:25:51 dragon kernel: ipw2200: Firmware error detected.  Restarting.
> Mar  1 20:25:51 dragon kernel: ipw2200: Sysfs 'error' log already exists.
> Mar  1 20:44:22 dragon kernel: ipw2200: Firmware error detected.  Restarting.
> Mar  1 20:44:22 dragon kernel: ipw2200: Sysfs 'error' log already exists.
>
> I wonder if it's related to suspending to memory a lot.

I don't think so.  It appears to be a driver or firmware issue.  As a
workaround, try adding

 	options ipw2200 hwcrypto=0

to /etc/modprobe.conf.  It seems to drastically reduce the number of these
errors.

If you are bold and want to try the latest drivers (which may fix the
porblem), see http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc2-ipw2200.shtml.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences