[FC4] Thunderbird-1.5 rpm?

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Thu Mar 2 14:13:28 UTC 2006

On Thursday 02 March 2006 01:00, M. Lewis decided we wanted to hear the
following:
> Thanks Taharka. Had I ever created an rpm, that would probably be a good
> solution. Unfortunately I haven't and I didn't see any instructions
> there for doing so. If you have a pointer to some instructions that
> would be helpful.
the instructions are at (nearly) the same location as the rpm...
http://www.fedoranews.org/tchung/thunderbird/
including the source files you need to create your rpm.

but in brief...
This all applies to a user called 'stuart'. You'll need to adjust it for a
*non-privileged* user on your system. Do NOT build rpms as the 'root' user.
you can also use a directory name other than REDHAT. that's just what I tend
to use. The other directory names (SPECS etc) are not customisable without a
greate deal of messing about.

1. create a file in your home directory called .rpmmacros
it should contain:
%_topdir /home/stuart/REDHAT

2. now create a basic build tree
mkdir -p /home/stuart/REDHAT/{RPMS,SRPMS,SOURCES,BUILD,SPECS}

3. put everything in place:
put  the thunderbird.spec file into /home/stuart/REDHAT/SPECS
cp the 3 source files thunderbird-1.5.tar.gz, thunderbird.png and
thunderbird.desktop into /home/stuart/REDHAT/SOURCES

4. now use the thunderbird.spec file to build the rpm:
rpmbuild -bb /home/stuart/REDHAT/SPECS/thunderbird.spec

which, if all goes well, should create loads of output and then eventually
write the file
/home/stuart/REDHAT/RPMS/i386/thunderbird-1.5-1.i386.rpm

ps setting up the build environment as in steps 1 and 2 above can also be done
by using yum to install a development-specific rpm.
yum install fedora-rpmdevtools
and then fedora-buildrpmtree
I've just always done this manually...
Regards

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA RHCX
"Quit worrying about your health.  It'll go away."