Tux-shaped computer runs Linux

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Mar 2 17:43:16 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-03 at 19:13 -0500, Terry Snyder wrote:
> On 3/1/06, Jean-Rene Cormier <jrc at jrcormier.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 09:28 -0500, taharka wrote:
> > > How do,
> > >
> > > Feb. 28, 2006
> > >
> > > Acme Systems is shipping a Penguin-shaped case for a tiny SBC
> > > (single-board computer) powered by an innovative MCM (multi-chip module)
> > > that runs Linux. The 6.7-inch tall, 30-Euro "Tux Case" houses the
> > > company's "Acme Fox," a 2.6 x 2.8-inch, 100-Euro, RISC-based board with
> > > Ethernet and dual-USB interfaces, and surface-mount connectors for other
> > > I/O.
> > >
> > > Full article at; http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3880195342.html
> >
> > Kinda cool! If I can find something to do with it and I'm buying one. If
> > at least it had 2 ethernet port it could be used as a router...
> ...snip...>
> It looks like a good system for a router if it had two network ports,
> but where is the monitor port if it is to be used as a basic computer?

After checking it out, it looks like a cool little unit.
One of there device servers has two Ethernet ports, the
second port is actually a USB Ethernet adaptor on the
board, which would be OK as a WAN port since most DSL
and Cable modems only support up to 10 Mbps.

I have been doing some hobby robotics, and have been
finding that working with most micro-controllers takes
a lot of time and effort. Since these run Linux and
can be programmed using C, they are a much niftier
solution for me. With these babies I could just use
the micro-controllers for I/O data collection and
device control, and leave the processing and storage
to the MCM. Since the have Ethernet, I could network
them for more advanced projects.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to hunt one of these babies
down. Hmm... in the next episode; Armies of robo-tux drones
lay Redmond asunder, as Bill Gates quivers under his desk.

Thinkin' happy thoughts as I go.