Yum better than RPM?

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 18:29:49 UTC 2006

2006/3/2, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>:

> > > if i load a 64 bit library... and have to load the 32 bit one aswell
> > > cause i need the backwards stuff i waste ram for the 32 bit lib ;).
> >
> > since i fear you dont get it again i am going to explain by example rather
> >
> > lets take a browser that uses the gtk library... lots of desktop apps
> > i use need the 64 bit version... now a 32 bit browser like e.g. galeon
> > needs 32bit gtk... so both are loaded... loading one lib 2 times is
> > overhead in my eyes that is avoidable and proprietary stuff again is
> > anyways just a workaround not a solution.
> >
> > disagree again? ;)
>
> True enough, but exactly the same argument applies to running
> apps that need gtk along with apps that need qt or a different
> toolkit.  And I suspect both problems will be solved in about
> the same timeframe.
>
> Perhaps you could put a dollar value on the RAM used and
> offer that as a bribe to the distributor to build you
> a 64-bit version.

well sure you can argument like that but qt and gtk2 are not the same
libs and enthusiasts like me also try to stick with gtk2 apps whereas
qt/kde of course has alot of really nice applications (i dont hate kde
or something)
i also agree that the overhead isnt thaaat big in terms of todays ram
prices... 30 euros for 512 mb ddr 400... but well i just would like to
have a nice free solution we can integrate into the distro as nice as
possible. it will work for java browser support with webgcjplugin...
flash  clones will in my eyes always have to stay in livna though, as
sad as it is... unless you can live with no sound... but the only
reason id use flash is flash movies (flash webpages are again just
overhead in my eyes hehe).

its just my personal opinion. i can for sure understand that for some
people a temp workaround is more important but then again i know from
experience that workarounds just take away the motiviation to do
something about real solutions ;). If enough people scream things will
move. demand is important. if everyone that "has demand" uses a
workaround theres absolutely no reason for them to do anything.

For a vendor its the question if their technology becomes obsolete or
not. if they dont support arches that are becoming more and more
popular then they loose market share and if the market share is small
enough the technology is pretty easy to obsolete ;) i wish wed be
there already.

regards,
Rudolf Kastl

regards,