Small update Re: Translation, please : XP > FC a/o CXO

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Mar 2 21:52:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 02:07:27PM -0500, beartooth wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 10:25:51 -0500, I Beartooth wrote:
>
> > I have been trying to get certain suites of proprietary software usable
> > under CrossoverOffice (CXO) under FC4 on four machines. All are topo map
> > stuff, interfacing with a GPS.[...]
>
> > One sine qua non is still lacking. Neither one is able to interface with
> > a GPS. (Until they do, I have to keep a dedicated machine running XP
> > <snarl>.)

> I asked the same things on grc.techtalk.linux, from news.grc.com. Two
> suggestion there are these, both from John DeCarlo :
>
> > 2.b.1  There is a program out there, which may well be in the Fedora
> > repositories, called "gpsd".  This is a daemon to talk to the GPS
> > device. I would play with this first, to make sure that Linux can talk
> > to the GPS device appropriately.
>
> The only gpsd I could get from "yum whatprovides gpsd" was a bunch of
> debugger stuff relating to KDE development -- and I don't even run KDE.
>
> I've asked if he means something in gpsdrive -- but, alas!, I've looked at
> that, and it's well beyond my competence even to install (and is geared to
> other uses than mine, anyway).

gpsd is a daemon for reading GPS
receivers. http://freshmeat.net/projects/gpsd/. (freshmeat is your
friend.) There is a copy packaged with gpsdrive, but it may not be the
most current.

> > 3.  CXO must support some way of converting a Linux /dev/tty... to a
> > Windows COM1.  You probably need to do some research on configuring
> > this properly, once you know exactly what /dev/tty... your GPS is using
> > on the machine.  My guess would be that after CXO is properly
> > configured, your mapping software will be able to talk to the GPS device.

It should. Check on the winehq web pages for details. It's a matter of
creating a symlink in a particular directory under .cxoffice from com1
to /dev/whatever.

I had this working with wine (neat, no CXO) and DeLorme Street Atlas 8
a couple of years ago, so it should be possible with the latest CXO.

> MY knowledge is not up to telling whether this last -- which sounds to me
> like a translation into terms more apt at least than XP's -- is really a
> question for CXO, or something for Fedora to do before CXO even launches.
> So I'll post this both places, with my apologies, and hope to strike a
> spark of interest in at least one of them.

I would have asked this on either the CXO or wine lists, or checked
either the CXO KB or wine web pages. Rationale: it is application
(wine) specific.