Re: [OT] Re: Free Oracle database now on general release

Peter Gordon wrote:
On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 09:04 -0500, taharka wrote:
[...]

Oracle has now made its low-end, free-of-charge Oracle Database 10g
Express Edition generally available to the public.

Also known as the XE database, the beta version of the software was
originally launched as a beta product last October.

[...]

Not to seem rude or condescending, but how, exactly, does this relate to
a GNU/Linux distribution which strictly advocates *against* such
proprietary software? ;-)

I thought this forum is for discussion of matters of particular interest to users of Fedora Core, not for advocacy. Many users of Fedora Core use proprietary software such as drivers for ATI and nvidia graphics devices, and discussion of technical matters and availability of and stability of those is in order, so how's Oracle different? I'd be very intterested to see how Oracle's performance compares with that of, say, Postgresql. Oracle and DB2 seem to be the software of choice for those with very large databases, shy should we not discuss its use on Fedora Core?

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
1aaaaaaa computerdatasafe com au  Z1aaaaaaa computerdatasafe com au

do not reply off-list