Pointers into audio files (howto?)

Rowan Kerr rowan at stasis.org
Fri Mar 3 04:14:13 UTC 2006

Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> I have an audio recording and a transcription of an interview, which I
> would like to post to the web.  Each line (or short section) of the
> transcript should link to the appropriate place in the audio
* snip *
> Is there a better way?  I.e. does mp3 or ogg support anything like
> anchors, so that the text file could reference these "anchors" in the
> audio file?

If you use HelixPlayer, you should be able to write a SMIL file and put
ahcnors in that to allow people to jump around in the audio file. At
least .. that has worked with RealPlayer and a file from a RealServer
for years. It might work with and OGG file when played locally or from a
web server but you'd have to try it out. (Or look at helixcommunity or
realnetworks for docs).