impatient for FC5 release

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Mar 5 07:57:20 UTC 2006

Anthony Messina wrote:

>> I guess my expectation was that most of the "development" packages
>> would become standard versions by the time FC-5 came out.
>

> yes, the packages will become official, if that's what you mean, but
> your computer will have yum configured for all the devel repos, not
> the standard repos which means whenever you do a yum update, you'll be
> updating to the latest devel stuff.
>
> i may be mistaken, it is possible for the upgrader to automatically
> change all this stuff, but i'm not sure that it does.
>
> any expert answers out there?

Releases are snapshots of the current development tree which is frozen
for sometime to stabilize. This is a relatively short duration for test
releases and longer for general releases.If you have enabled the
development repository, you will have to disable it manually before
Fedora Core 5 is released or you will move to into the development
branch headed for the subsequent release which is Fedora Core 6.

If you are installing the test/development branch just to get to a head
start, be aware that the development releases may have debugging options
enabled and are intended for testers to provide feedback to developers
through the fedora-test list discussions and bug reports in
http://bugzilla.redhat.com. More serious testing would be very useful to
get a better final release out of the door though.

--
Rahul