On-board ethernet - VT6102 Rhine-II - and slow connection

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Mar 6 00:23:27 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 13:30 -0500, jludwig wrote:
> On Sunday 05 March 2006 12:53, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Sunday 05 March 2006 17:45, Jeff Vian wrote:
> > > That adapter has 4 possible connection states   10/100MiB and half/full
> > > duplex. Obviously the fastest would be 100 full.
> > >
> > > What is it actually connected as?  Usually the leds on the switch or the
> > > adapter will tell you the speed, but I have not seen any tools to check
> > > the actual state from the OS.
> > >
> > > I have never had any problems with any NIC using the via-rhine chipset,
> > > but YMMV
> >
> > OK, that's reassuring.  I can't check it right now, but I'm intending a new
> > install after the rebuild.  If there are still problems I'll swap the cat5
> > cable and try that.  I have to confess that it's a box with low usage, so
> > I've never spent much time on it.
> >
> > Anne
> Try man ethtool;
>         ethtool -s DEVNAME \
>                 [ speed 10|100|1000 ] \
>                 [ duplex half|full ]    \
>                 [ port tp|aui|bnc|mii|fibre ] \
>                 [ autoneg on|off ] \
>                 [ phyad %d ] \
>                 [ xcvr internal|external ] \
>                 [ wol p|u|m|b|a|g|s|d... ] \
>                 [ sopass %x:%x:%x:%x:%x:%x ] \
>                 [ msglvl %d ]

Thanks for pointing out ethtool.  I had earlier seen mii-tool but could
not remember what it was.

The -s you show above allows setting the parameters but does not display
anything about current settings..

After some playing with ethtool I found out that the display from
"ethtool ethX" is likely what Anne needs.  Example from mine below.

[root at eagle ~]# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Half