From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Mar 6 12:01:06 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> Just posting a link from the upcoming Fedora version 5 notes. (FC5T3
>> as of now)
>> The changes might be good to know for a user to make a decision when
>> FC5 is released as to how to upgrade / install.
>>
>> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/test3-latest-en/#sn-PackageChanges
>>

>> Major changes for people installing are xen, screensavers, menu
>> reconfiguration, a GUI search tool, a few applications that use mono,
>> no up2date program, a new package manager and GUI front end to yum.
>>
> The really latest notes are available at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/  and
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsRawhide

Thanks for adding the additional links. I have to learn how to navigate
through the beats concept for document management.

A link to the most likely release notes would be easier to understand
for those accustomed to the format of the outdated link that I referenced.

>> Everything installs are no longer possible. The major components are
>> now in groups and part of the optional packages can be selected or not
>> selected through check marks. Some packages that were selectable in
>> the past may not be selectable from the menus though they are on the
>> install media.
>
> Packages should always be selectable in the UI if they are available in
> the install media. Report it as a bug otherwise.  I believe there is
> already a comps related tracker for similar changes.

There were packages added to comps that were not available for selection
  as late as the test 3 iso install media. The bug is being tracked but
user awareness that there are many packages on the media that are not
pulled in or selectable for new installs was my experience.

>> How usb devices are managed and items like names for the mounted media
>> using volume names for the mount points is different.
>>
>> Suspend is available from the menus if your computer is capable of
>> suspending. Hibernate is not a menu choice but works as well from
>> script pm-hibernate.
>>
>> I did not notice any major application changes from FC4 to FC5.
>
> The overview and  package diff would show you the list of major
> application changes.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/OverView
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/PackageChangeslicensing

Thanks again,
Jim

--
Always look over your shoulder because everyone is watching and plotting
against you.