VNC, or something similar, for remote desktop access of a remote desktop that's already running

Hi,

I've left some GUI applications running on a remote PC and want to keep
tabs on what they're up to at the moment (i.e. no restarting them or X
to configure a remote desktop view).  Can I do this?

Looking at VNC it normally starts up a new X session, this is no good.
Looking further into it I could put options into the X server so I could
remote the :0 screen.  But this does me no good, I'd have to stop the
application I've got running for a reconfiguration.

I read messages from the public lists.