Home directories

Uno Engborg uno at webworks.se
Mon Mar 6 14:42:33 UTC 2006

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 13:57 +0100, Uno Engborg wrote:
>
>> I am the only one thinking that installing new users home directories
>> into /home/ by default is a bad idea.  What I would have liked to see in
>> future Fedora releases is,  a /export/home directory that was used by
>> default, and that the user directories was automounted
>> on /home/. from that or from some file server.
>>
>> That way it would be much easier to make network setups. It would also
>> simplify the use of mobile computers not always connected to the
>> network, as they could mount home directories
>> on a file server when connected to a network, and to fail over to the
>> local version when disconnected. The server and the remote /etc/exports
>> could then be kept synchronized with rsync. when the user logged in or
>> out, or on user  demand.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Regards
>> Uno Engborg
>>

> ... What's the difference?
> You can share /home just as you can share /export/home... (Unix admins
> have been doing it for ages now)
> Just stuff /home/XXX (or /home itself) into your smb.conf/exports and
> it'll work just fine.
Actually /export/home followed by automount to /home is quite common
too. It is the default in e.g. Solaris.  The advantage of having
different locations is that it makes it much easier to configure things
like /etc/auto.master in LDAP or NIS configurations if /home always is
free to be used as a mount point. It is also much easier to tell users
that their home directory is always on /home/... regardless if the
machine they are using at the moment is the one that actually physically
holds their home directory.

Regards
Uno Engborg