From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Mar 6 15:54:39 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 01:55:04PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Thomas Taylor wrote:
>

> >Since everything installs are no longer possible, and given the
> >number of packages on the installation media, at the very least
> >one should be able to choose all of the packages within a group
> >instead of having to go into each groups list and check all the
> >packages individually.
> >This is a VERY POOR way of package selection and WILL NOT make
> >Fedora a choice for newcommers to linux.  Other distros are
> >making things easier in order to attract converts from Winbloze
> >and Mac's.  Making installation harder is a definate disservice
> >to loyal Fedora users.
> >

> There has been long discussion in fedora-test list about this
> already. Everything installations are possible through kickstart.
> Within the user interface, there is no need to pick packages
> individually. The package selection screen allows selection of
> groups in an easy manner.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/PackageSelection
>
> You might want to try it out in practise before calling it poor.
As usual I disagree with Rahul's analysis. kickstart is a
whole different technology that beginning users will not
want to tackle. We are talking about beginning users who
don't know anything about groups and just want to install
everything and see what they get.

Just like the rival operating system parts that give you a
choice between custom or everything. A beginner does not
know what to choose in a custom install. Why would it hurt
to have the everything option?

And I don't want to hear about subscribing to another list
so I can give my opinion there. I am subscribed to too many
lists already.

This is another example where the community is ignored when
important decisions are made.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found
I've got a little list -- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground
And who never would be missed -- who never would be missed.
		-- Koko, "The Mikado"
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University