Re: VNC, or something similar, for remote desktop access of a remote desktop that's already running

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 11:09:03AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 06:32, Tim wrote:
>
> > I've left some GUI applications running on a remote PC and want to keep
> > tabs on what they're up to at the moment (i.e. no restarting them or X
> > to configure a remote desktop view).  Can I do this?
> >
> > Looking at VNC it normally starts up a new X session, this is no good.
> > Looking further into it I could put options into the X server so I could
> > remote the :0 screen.  But this does me no good, I'd have to stop the
> > application I've got running for a reconfiguration.
>
> I don't think there is any way short of a hardware network KVM to
> get a remote screen if you didn't set up the vnc module and password
> before starting the X session you want to grab.

Well, you can.  Log in using SSH, then run:

export XAUTHORITY=~/.Xauthority
export DISPLAY=:0
x0vncserver

Then connect to that VNC server.

In future, might want to set up vino:

Desktop -> Preferences -> Remote Desktop
Click on 'Allow other users to view your desktop

Tim.
*/