multiple root accounts

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 6 19:32:36 UTC 2006

azeem ahmad wrote:

>> From: Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net>
>> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>> Subject: Re: multiple root accounts
>> Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:06:30 -0600
>>
>> azeem ahmad wrote:
>>
>>> hi list
>>> i want more than 1 root accounts in FC4, for example
>>> user: root
>>> user: must
>>> user:azeem
>>> all the 3 accounts should have the same root previligies to do
>>> anything on the system
>>> how it could be done
>>

>> There are several techniques, but first, why? Perhaps it would
>> be better simply to give these three users the root password,
>> or put them into the sudoers file.
>>
>> Anyway, perhaps the easiest way to do this is make them aliases
>> for user number 0.
>>
>> Mike
>> --
>
> making alias to 0, how it could be done?
> and also the scenario is someone once changed my machine's root
> password. now if i had another root account i could access my machine
> and reset root password again

If this is all you want then I suggest you either use a
rescue CDROM like KNOPPIX, or, if you can't take the
downtime, then put those users into the sudoers file.

Making aliases for user 0 is not the optimal solution
to this problem. Using sudo is probably your best option.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.