impatient for FC5 release

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 06:15:38 UTC 2006

On 3/3/06, Josh Coffman <josh_coffman at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I'm excited to get FC5. I was planning on waiting
> for the release, but I don't know if I can wait any
> longer.
>
>   My cdrom has start acting funny; it's a mounting
> issue and I noticed with the last two kernels. I've
> got too much software installed that I don't use. And
> it is the original partition setup when I first became
> a linux user last July.
>
>   So is it worth the wait for FC5 release or is FC5t3
> just as good? Will the final release be pushed back
> like the test releases?

The best thing to do would be to practice patience or you will be forced to
later when the inevitable problems crop up and you are all alone with them
and no one can reproduce your errors.

It is always safest to install from scratch on a bare system with a stable
release. It is always the most tested configuration and any existing data
that needs to be migrated just complicates things.

If you have a home directory that needs to be migrated, the next safest is
to upgrade with the release CDs. Some special corner cases where config
files need to be rewritten or files moved around or other things that rpm
cannot easily handle get included in this option; not every case but the
more common ones at least.

The next safest is to do a yum update between releases. It works usually but
typically requires a bit of fixing things. It is common enough for people to
do that there are a few people around to share your pain and give you
pointers. You will collect little problems each time you do and will not
benefit from more sane defaults choices in config files.

The most unsafe would be to have a developmental install and upgrade it to a
release using yum or the install CDs. There is a very good chance that it
will work fine. There is also a very good chance that you will have some
errors on your system that only you have. Since misery likes company, you
will be very miserable. So if you are confident that you can troubleshoot
things on your own then this option will work OK. However, if you do go this
route, then have bugs and end up reporting them without having found the
problem and presented a solution, you will likely be ignored unless others
that have taken the more popular upgrading routes share that same problem.

This is just according to my experience though.
/Mike