Disk & cpu activity at regular intervals

On a new install of FC4 I'm seeing disk activity and cpu usage at intervals
rather less than 1 second, by my judgement.  Mostly the cpu usage is 1-2%,
but every 6th peak, roughly about 5 seconds apart, it is 12-15%.  hda
activity in gkrellm shows spikes at the same time interval as the cpu spikes,
and again, there is a big one that coincides with the cpu usage spike.  Top
doesn't show anything unusual.

Where else might I get a clue as to what's happening?  There's certainly
nothing like this on any of the other three boxes that have FC4 installed.

Anne