Installing vuescan

As this application is highly recommended I want to try it for my film
scanner, but I'm having install problems.  In theory you just unpack it to
any directory and run the executable.  In practice, I'm seeing it fail
because it can't find libstdc++.so.5

I see in yumex that there is compat-libstdc++-296 and compat-libstdc++-33.
Are either of these likely to solve the dependency, or do I need to look at
other repos?

Anne