multiple root accounts

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Mar 7 22:35:34 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:52:01AM -0500, Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
> On 3/6/06, Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> > Actually, no need to use a rescue CD if you need to recover root
> > password.  Boot the system and append single to the kernel command line.
> > This will bring the system up in single user mode at the root prompt.
> > You can then use passwd to change the roots password and do any other
> > maintenance needed.
>
> Will single work if my grub has a set password as well?  The rescue CD
> is best.  By passes the boot loader password as well.

It will if you know the passwd. If you do not your in a real security
bind.

However, I think someone mentioned the rescue disk. That should allow
you to erase the passwd field of root and you are back in business.

You should gather by now if one has access to the console their is no
security.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University