multiple root accounts

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Tue Mar 7 23:16:00 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 17:35, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:52:01AM -0500, Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
> > On 3/6/06, Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> > > Actually, no need to use a rescue CD if you need to recover root
> > > password.  Boot the system and append single to the kernel command
> > > line. This will bring the system up in single user mode at the root
> > > prompt. You can then use passwd to change the roots password and do any
> > > other maintenance needed.
> >
> > Will single work if my grub has a set password as well?  The rescue CD
> > is best.  By passes the boot loader password as well.
>
> It will if you know the passwd. If you do not your in a real security
> bind.
>
> However, I think someone mentioned the rescue disk. That should allow
> you to erase the passwd field of root and you are back in business.
>
> You should gather by now if one has access to the console their is no
> security.
> Aaron Konstam
> Computer Science
> Trinity University
> telephone: (210)-999-7484

Consider a grub md5 password. Then they can't boot the system from the hard
drive without the password. Then disable all other boot options in BIOS and
add a BIOS administrator password.
This will slow, but not necessarily stop, most crackers.
--
Some people have convictions.
Some people have opinions