From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

gb spam gbofspam at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 00:55:14 UTC 2006

On 3/7/06, Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:

> If I want a package to do X, then I search for one that does what I
> need.  I don't want 1000 extra packages installed just because I *may*
> want one of them 5 months from today.

I am seeing a lot of "I" assertions in there.  If you can replace "I"
with "everybody" and get agreement from everybody, then you have a
point.

I suspect there are a lot of things that I want that you don't and
vice versa, but that doesn't make me right over you.  Choice is the
keyword here.  If you want it, why can't you have the choice to use
it?

> BTW, it is just as easy to do an "rpm
> -Uvh /media/cdrecorder/fedora/RPMS/*.rpm" and get the same effect as
> doing an everything install.

this assumes you've downloaded the DVD version, not the CD version

> Or even do a "yum install \* " which will
> get it as well.

except that this downloads everything that wasn't installed the first
time AGAIN.

> The ease of doing that kind of bloated install is not gone, just moved
> to another venue that is more friendly to a new user.

could you tell me what it is that is easier than clicking the 'install
everything' checkbox?

> Please get off the "I want" bandwagon and think about the community as a
> whole and alternative paths when you look at these changes.

Please get off the "i don't want therefor you can't have" bandwagon.