MUTT Question

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Mar 8 01:08:20 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 04:49:03PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 March 2006 15:15, Chris Norman wrote:
> > Cheers, my other question (regarding the MUTT package, kind of):
> >
> > I have got dovecot and postfix which are supposed to be handling messages,
> > but neither of them seem to be. I'd like to be able to hit send in MUTT,
> > and have my own SMTP server belt the e-mails off.
> >
> > Can you give us a hand please?
> >
> I don't think dovecot has anything to do with sending your messages.  It's
> possible that you have both sendmail and sendmail.postfix installed, which
> could cause problems.  Take a look at /etc/postfix/main.cf and see what it
> thinks is handling your outgoing messages.  If you do find that you have both
> sendmail programs installed, run system-switch-mail to set it to the one
> mentioned in main.cf
>
> Anne

I'm a MUTT user, but am far from an expert. I note that the mutt manual
indicates that mutt uses sendmail as the default SMTP agent for sending
mail. There are some commands you can use in your .muttrc to modify
the way sendmail is invoked.

I have no experience with Postifx, so you'll have to do your own
investigating. However, if Postfix has a sendmail command as a wrapper
around itself you may well be able to depend on it. As to how to
configure postfix to actually work for you, now, is another story.

Also, if you don't have the stomach for that, I note that there is
a perl program named "sendemail" that can be used as a smtp sending
agent: http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/
and you may be able to hack up something using it to send mail.
But you will still need sendmail/postfix/whatever to  handle your
incoming email.