multiple root accounts

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Mar 8 01:53:55 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 19:23 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 12:23 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 19:00 +0000, azeem ahmad wrote:
> > > hi list
> > > i want more than 1 root accounts in FC4, for example
> > > user: root
> > > user: must
> > > user:azeem
> > > all the 3 accounts should have the same root previligies to do anything on
> > > the system
> > > how it could be done
> > ----
> > everyone else has suggested that you change the uid # in /etc/passwd to
> > 0 which may very well do what you want but there is another mechanism in
> > place...sudo which might be more in line with security...
> >
> > an entry in /etc/sudoers like...
> >
> > craig   ALL=(ALL) ALL
> >
> > would do something similar but you would have to supply root password to
> > have root privileges.
> >
> Not quite.  With sudo you need the USERS password, not the root
> password.
>

> > if you did something like this...
> >
> > Cmnd_Alias IPOD=/sbin/modprobe -r sbp2
> > Cmnd_Alias EJECT=/usr/bin/eject /dev/sda2,/usr/bin/eject /dev/sdb2
> >
> > craig   ALL= NOPASSWD : IPOD, EJECT
> >
> > then user 'craig' could do those specific commands without a password.
> > Suit yourself, it's your system but I would ***heavily*** recommend
> > against a real 'user' having a uid of "0"
----
Jeff - you have an annoying habit of piping in to a message that is a
day old, the thread has moved on and in this case, my error was already
pointed out AND acknowledged so it becomes something akin to piling on.
To summarize, your post was entirely without value unless it's value was
to annoy me.

Craig