How to apply a driver patch? (Was:Addressing a SCSI film-scanner)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 8 08:32:28 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 22:30, David Boles wrote:

> > I know that xsane is installed in /usr/share/sane/ and the drivers appear
> > to be in /usr/lib/sane so I'm assuming that I can ignore most of the
> > instructions above.  The download is a .tar.gz, and includes a Makefile.
> > I presume that I can unpack the tarball anywhere I like?  Is it then just
> > a matter of editing the prefix line in the Makefile?  And should that
> > point to /usr/sane?
> >
> > Finally, the FS2710 patch.  That contains 6 files, such as canon.c,
> > canon.desc, canon.h....  I don't know what I'm supposed to do with that
> > file. I can't see any similar files that would need to be overwritten.
> >
> > I'd be glad of any help anyone can give.  I'm out of my depth - but still
> > determined ;-)
> >
> > Anne
>
> Sane comes with Fedora so I would use their's and not the source. It should
> be easier.
>
> If your scanner is supported by sane there should be a driver with sane. Do
> you know the drivers name?
>
> depmod -a       might find it.
>
> modprobe <drivername>       should install it.

The problem is that it uses the sane-canon driver, but it doesn't work until
you install the patch.

By now the brain has half-started to function, and I realise that the regular
canon driver installed by Fedora will almost certainly take care of most of
the instructions on the sane website.  I'm still left not knowing what to do
with the patch.  I will, I'm sure, be able to find information today on
regular technique for applying a patch, but I don't understand what I am to
apply the patch to - presumably the canon driver, but is
that /usr/lib/sane/libsane-canon.so.1 or one of the other canon files listed
there - or somewhere else, for that matter?

I really would appreciate some help from someone who understands the structure
of these driver files.  Thanks

Anne