Addressing a SCSI film-scanner - long, sorry.

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 8 08:55:12 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 08:31, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 22:38 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 March 2006 22:18, Paul Howarth wrote:ecognised.
> >
> > > You'll probably need to load a driver for the SCSI card before any of
> > > the devices attached to it will work.
> > >
> > > Try:
> > > # modprobe tmscsim
> > >
> > > and see if that helps.
> >
> > Well, the command was accepted.  Should I add that into modprobe.conf?
>
> See if it detected your hardware first. Look in /var/log/messages for
> the time that you inserted the module and see if anything relevant
> appears.

There is absolutely nothing there for that time.

> You might also try "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" and see what appears.

No attached devices.

> If that shows your scanner, then you've got the right module. Add:
>
> alias scsi_hostadapter tmscsim
>
> to /etc/modprobe.conf

tmscsim is the scsi adapter driver, not the scanner itself, and
system-config-control Hardware Browser does see the adapter (and lists the
driver as tmscsim.

> Let's make sure you've got the right SCSI driver first.

Back to the beginning, in case I've missed something.

The scanner is set to ID 3, terminated.  It is the only scsi device attached.
At what point should Fedora 'see' the scanner?  I've seen no indication that
it does see it.

I got further than this three years ago when I tried to run the scanner under
Mandrake, so I know that it's possible to get it recognised.  I failed to
install the driver patch then, and it froze the system, but at least it tried
to work.  I only mention this to indicate that it isn't an incompatible piece
of equipment.

Is there any relevance at all in the fact that all my FC4 boxes show messages
entries about automount being unable to find .directory?

Anne