Addressing a SCSI film-scanner - SUCCESS!

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 8 11:50:42 UTC 2006

Paul & Mogens, thanks to your encouragement I have successfully scanned!

There are two scsi connectors on the back of the scanner, and the
documentation does not make it clear which one I should use.  My memory was
that it only worked on one of them, but I couldn't remember which one.  I
changed the connection to the other one, and re-ran the rescan-scsi-bus.sh
script.  It found and correctly labelled the scanner on SCSI1, Channel 0, ID
5, LUN 0 (obviously the tiny 5 on the setting had looked like a 3 to me).  At
that point I ran vuescan and it simply worked.  I did not need to apply the
patch at all.

According to the documentation the problem is almost certainly caused by a
delay in reporting after a scsi re-set.  It seems that there are now four
options for correcting this, two of which require a kernel recompile, so I'll
ignore them.

# Use the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script or manually use the scsi add-single-device
command to detect your device, whenever needed. You max want to put something
like (sleep 10; echo "scsi add-single-device C B T U" >/proc/scsi/scsi)&  to
your system startup scripts.

I think this is probably the simplest, and that the command would be "scsi
add-single-device 1 0 5 0" - do you agree?

# Prevent the tmscsim driver from resetting the SCSI bus on startup. Look at
README.tmscsim (it is included in the driver distribution and can be found
inside the kernel source tree in linux/drivers/scsi/README.tmscsim.)
[tmscsim=7,0,31,43]

Do you see any advantage in following the second way?

Anne