Probably silly Q

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Mar 8 14:34:05 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 08:28, Craig White wrote:
>On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 01:43 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >----
>> >don't bother with all that nonsense...your syslog has the ability
>> > to accept, log, rotate, etc. from network devices...
>> >
>> >man syslogd /support for remote logging
>> >
>> >unless you feel like doing unnecessary gymnastics
>> >
>> >Craig
>>
>> Ok, I've inserted that line in services thats needed for that to
>> work, syslog          514/udp
>>
>> And added the -r option to OPTIONS in the syslog file in
>> /etc/sysconfig, SIGHUPed syslogd, and turned the routers forwarding
>> of the access log to the main 192.168.x.x address of that machine.
>> But nothing is appearing in either all.log or any other log with a
>> recent timestamp.
>>
>> Did I miss something?  Or is the linksys BEFSR41 routers logging to
>> some other unk (udp/tcp) port besides 514?
>
>----
>Let's keep this on list OK?
>
>Firewall on Linux system blocking port 514 protocol UDP?
>
>Logging will go into /var/log/messages unless you redirect it via
>syslog.conf # man syslog.conf
>
>Is there actually traffic ? you can use something like ethereal to
> trace activity between router & Linux system

I couldn't make sense out of the ethereal output, but I am seeing quite
a bit of this when I run:

tcpdump -i eth0 -p udp

and scattered amonst the dns queries is a few of these:
========
09:27:09.106059 router.coyote.den.16139 > 192.168.1.100.snmptrap:
Trap(35)  E:3093.2.2.1 192.168.1.1
enterpriseSpecific[specific-trap(1)!=0] 25922015 [|snmp]
========
but this router doesn't do the mrtg thing that I'm aware of.  Its a
linksys BEFSR41, latest firmware.

But, is this the data I want?  In case yes, how do I go about logging it
to a unique logfile?  I don't see it being rejected or dropped in
iptables.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: