Probably silly Q

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Mar 8 15:01:11 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 09:34 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 March 2006 08:28, Craig White wrote:

> >> Ok, I've inserted that line in services thats needed for that to
> >> work, syslog          514/udp
> >>
> >> And added the -r option to OPTIONS in the syslog file in
> >> /etc/sysconfig, SIGHUPed syslogd, and turned the routers forwarding
> >> of the access log to the main 192.168.x.x address of that machine.
> >> But nothing is appearing in either all.log or any other log with a
> >> recent timestamp.
> >>
> >> Did I miss something?  Or is the linksys BEFSR41 routers logging to
> >> some other unk (udp/tcp) port besides 514?
> >
> >----
> >Let's keep this on list OK?
> >
> >Firewall on Linux system blocking port 514 protocol UDP?
> >
> >Logging will go into /var/log/messages unless you redirect it via
> >syslog.conf # man syslog.conf
> >
> >Is there actually traffic ? you can use something like ethereal to
> > trace activity between router & Linux system
>
> I couldn't make sense out of the ethereal output, but I am seeing quite
> a bit of this when I run:
>
> tcpdump -i eth0 -p udp
>
> and scattered amonst the dns queries is a few of these:
> ========
> 09:27:09.106059 router.coyote.den.16139 > 192.168.1.100.snmptrap:
> Trap(35)  E:3093.2.2.1 192.168.1.1
> enterpriseSpecific[specific-trap(1)!=0] 25922015 [|snmp]
> ========
> but this router doesn't do the mrtg thing that I'm aware of.  Its a
> linksys BEFSR41, latest firmware.
>
> But, is this the data I want?  In case yes, how do I go about logging it
> to a unique logfile?  I don't see it being rejected or dropped in
> iptables.
>

> >The RH 7.3 system may have a very different version of syslogd and
> >behave differently
----
I don't understand the '-p' in tcpdump but it would seem that if you are
gonna use tcpdump, that filtering it down by 'dst port 514' would make
sense because so much traffic makes it hard to find what you want to
filtering it would be good...ethereal does have some nice tools in the
gui tool.

Also, you should verify how syslogd is running (i.e., is it now using
the -r option)...

ps aux|grep syslog

Craig