Edit windows files under Linux

Vivek J. Patankar list307 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 17:09:50 UTC 2006

On 3/8/06, chen li <chen_li3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I create a FAT32 partition on my hardware to access
> excel files of Windows XP from Linux FC4. As I recall
> files on this partition are supposed to be read and
> written under Linux FC4(or either way). But what I
> find is that it can only be read. So what am I
> supposed to do to make it written from FC4?

A FAT32 partition when mounted by the command (as root)
# mount -t vfat /dev/hdXX /mnt/mountpoint
is readable by all but writable only by root.

For the partition to be writable by all users mount is as follows...

# mount -t vfat -o umask=000 /dev/hdXX /mnt/mountpoint

--
Regards
Vivek

Registered Linux User #374218