Addressing a SCSI film-scanner - SUCCESS!

Bruce Bales bbales at cox.net
Wed Mar 8 19:49:13 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 05:50, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Paul & Mogens, thanks to your encouragement I have successfully scanned!
>
> There are two scsi connectors on the back of the scanner, and the
> documentation does not make it clear which one I should use.  My memory was
> that it only worked on one of them, but I couldn't remember which one.  I
> changed the connection to the other one, and re-ran the rescan-scsi-bus.sh
> script.  It found and correctly labelled the scanner on SCSI1, Channel 0,
> ID 5, LUN 0 (obviously the tiny 5 on the setting had looked like a 3 to
> me).  At that point I ran vuescan and it simply worked.  I did not need to
> apply the patch at all.

I kinda hate to jump in here where I haven't been in the loop before, but
unless scsi has changed in the last few years, as I remember, most scsi
devices have two connectors.  Either can be input and the other then is
output.  The scsi bus is serial - up to seven devices in a row.  The last
device has a terminator plug on it which electrically terminates the data
lines with resistors.  If there is only one device attached, it should have a
terminator.  The other end of the bus is terminated on the scsi card.

Many devices will work (although often imperfectly) without proper
termination.

If this has been covered before please excuse me.
bruce