OT: Humor

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Mar 9 03:51:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, bill perkins wrote:

> Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> If they have your email address you go to the bad place!
> >>

> > Hey, that was my first email address, a compuserve one, so I don't think it
> > would be much use to them now ;-)
> >
> > Anne
> I had one of those, too- 72245,710 was my user ID. Can't believe that
> nobody has mentioned Heathkit here- my first two computers were a 6800
> SBC and an H-89 (2MHz Z-80, 64K ram, single 5 1/4" floppy). Also worked
> on a DEC-10 system in college, ASR-33 teletypes, paper tape... the good
> old days!

<<sigh>> The old H89 running cp/m. Never did get around to trying H-DOS or
whatever it was called, although I think it was pretty advanced for
running on Z80. If configged properly, as I recall, you could run 1 5.25
disk internal, two more 5.25 disks external, a 5 meg external hard drive
(I think it was 5 meg although it was about 8 inches across), and I
_think_ you could even get an external pair of 8 inch floppy drives with
something like 256K capacity.

Now the DEC-10 was another story - what with the computer science types
mucking with the OS, while the University was too cheap to get a good UPS
system as thunderstorms wandered through the area. And the cluster line
printers which you just connected to being at another location...
Trying to get a thesis to print off on _that_ system was an exercise in
creative frustration. (Although, in retrospect, much of the difficulty was
not the sytem's "fault" as such, just the university asking too much of
it.)

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance
                   Author Unknown