DNS changes on Comcast

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Mar 9 15:31:28 UTC 2006

Thomas Taylor wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> Got the following email from Comcast and I'm not sure how to proceed;
>
> "This will be our final courtesy e-mail to remind you that your PC must be
> configured for dynamic DNS communication by March 12, 2006.   As you may
> recall, we recently updated the domain name server ("DNS") components in our
> network to help ensure that we continue to deliver the high quality service
> you expect from Comcast."
>
> My gateway (192.168.0.1) is a netgear WGT624 wireless router on a small home
> network.  I'm only using the lan portion now as I no longer have a working
> laptop.
>
> The router is set up for dynamic DNS and addressing through nat from the cable
> modem.  On the computer side I use static addresses and have always assigned
> the DNS addresses Comcast gave me several years ago.
>
> My question is, do I need to change the DNS settings of each of my computers
> or will the dynamic DNS on the router take care of this.  I haven't seen this
> discussed on any of the lists I monitor nor seen anything by googling.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

I have not used that specific router, but if it is like the others I
have used, then you can set the router address as your DNS server,
and it will forward to the dynamically assigned name servers that it
gets via DHCP. That way, you do not have to change anything when
your ISP changes the name servers. It may also have an added benefit
of caching DNS for you as well.

Mikkel