PnP and Linux vis a vis Linksys Ether16 (LNE2000)

I have a Linksys Ether16 (LNE2000) card I'd like to use, but
research on the 'net leads me to believe that I can't use it
until after I run a setup program to turn off PnP. I don't
have such a program nor diagnostics disc, so I have some
questions.

(1) Is it still true that Linux cannot handle PnP boards?
(2) If so, then why would this be? (curiosity)
(3) Is there a way to manipulate and program this board other
    than by getting a copy of this disc?
(4) If not, then where may I get a copy? I haven't found any
    way, though I have spent several hours on the 'net.
(5) If so, then where may I get diagnostics for this board?
    I also haven't found a way, though I have spent several
    hours on the 'net.

Thanks for your time.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.