SOLVED[?]: PnP and Linux vis a vis Linksys Ether16 (LNE2000)

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 9 20:31:10 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty wrote:
> William Hooper wrote:
>
>> Mike McCarty wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Linksys Ether16 (LNE2000) card I'd like to use, but
>>> research on the 'net leads me to believe that I can't use it until
>>> after I
>>> run a setup program to turn off PnP. I don't have such a program nor
>>> diagnostics disc, so I have some questions.
>>

>> [snip]
>>
>> I don't know about your linux specific questions (I haven't used my
>> Ether16's for a long while), but the files to configure them are still on
>> the Linksys FTP.  Thanks to the Google cache, you can find the pages HTTP
>> that Linksys ate...
>

> Thanks for your kind reply, I appreciate it.
>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alinksys.com+lne2000
>> ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/lne20001.exe
>> ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/lne20002.exe
>

> Yes, I found and have these files:
>
> lne20001.exe
> lne20002.exe
> lne2000.exe
>
> After reading the docu on this board, I suposed that there
> was a program named SETUP.EXE to run under straight MSDOS.
> Do these programs, then, unpack themselves to make a disc
> for that?
>
> I'll give that a try.

Yep, that was it. They were ARJ packed archives, which
unpacked nicely on my MSDOS 6.0 machine. Should have
thought of that, myself.

Thanks for the reply! Now all I've gotta do is set the board
up, and figure out how to run LANMAN on my MSDOS machine, and
I'll be networking with my Linux machine in no time!

Famous last words...

:-)

Thanks again.

Mike