MySQL 5.0.18/Postfix 2.2.2-2

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Mar 9 21:21:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 20:03 +0000, Jim Douglas wrote:

> >From: Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
> >To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> >Subject: Re: MySQL 5.0.18/Postfix 2.2.2-2
> >Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:24:23 +0000
> >
> >jludwig wrote:

> >>After upgrading using rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force *.rpm
> >>/usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.14 is replaced with
> >>/usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.15.
> >>
> >>You might try;
> >>
> >>ln -s /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.14  or
> >>ln -s /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.15 /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.14
> >>
> >>If this will work I do not know.
> >
> >Ugh.
> >
> >For the umpteenth time: using "--nodeps" and/or "--force" is likely to
> >break your system, as the OP has found out. RPM's dependencies are there
> >for a reason and if you deliberately ignore them, don't be surprised when
> >other things break.
> >
> >The correct fix for this problem is to install the MySQL4 compatibility
> >libraries, which include libmysqlclient.so.14. There is a mysqlclient14
> >package in rawhide for this purpose. You could probably rebuild the SRPM on
> >FC4 and install that to fix this problem.
> >
> >Paul.
> >
> >--
>
> I had already done this but was indeed afarid I was breaking something.
> rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force postfix*.rpm

Rule of thumb: it's almost *never* the right thing to do if you're using
--force or --nodeps.

> So I installed rawhide and then potfix with,
>
> rpm -i postfix*.rpm
>
> And there are no error messages and postfix works fine!
>
> I don't have to re-install MySQL then Postfix.  Do I ?

Don't know. I don't know which version(s) of MySQL and its client
libraries you're using, nor which version of postfix. If it's working,
it's a good sign. But there may be other breakage yet to appear.

If all you've got that's not the FC4 version now are (a) MySQL, and (b)
the mysqlclient14 package from rawhide, then you're probably OK.

Paul.