Unusual termianl prompt?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 22:33:44 UTC 2006

Tim Alberts wrote:
> I'm used to the prompt on the terminal being something like
>
> [user at host ~]$ -or- [user at host ~]#
>
> I have a system that shows the prompt as
>
> -bash-3.00#
>
> when logged in as root.  However if I log in as a system user, it appears normal to me.
>
> How is this configured and how do I make it 'normal'?

info bash, shell variables, bourne shell variables (PS1 and PS2)/bash
variables (PS3 and PS4).
PS1 is probably the one you care about.  You've said on another
thread that you're familiar with DOS, PS1 is roughly equivalent
to DOS's 'PROMPT'.

It's odd that you get '-bash-3.00#' though, I've only seen that
on systems at runlevel 1 (where I suppose .bashrc isn't run).
It's possible the root acount on that machine is missing .bashrc
or something.

Typically interesting per-user things are set in ~/.bash_profile

--
imalone