OT: Humor

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Mar 9 23:37:58 UTC 2006

Craig White wrote:
> I made the mistake of installing FC-4 on my Sony C1X with only a 4Gb HD,
> 266Mhz P2 processor and 64mb RAM when I was hanging around beat up from
> a motorcycle accident and booting is so slow and living in VM hell that
> when you do finally log in and get the GUI, it's only saving grace is
> running nxclient (freenx client) and after that loads...it's a
> tiger  ;-)

How about a K2-266 system with 128 MB and a pair of 5Gb SCSI drives?
But I use it as a server running RedHat 7.3, so I do not run X
locally. I normally use SSH and X forwarding.

> but it seems to be a good long 5 minutes from power on to nxclient - I
> haven't timed it but it is ssslllllooooooooowwwwww.
>
> and all this discussion of the old systems reminded me how much I loved
> CP/M, WordStar and dBase  ;-)

I still have a copy of WordStar. It is amazing what you could run in
64K or less of RAM. But it did take a while to switch functions
because of loading modules. I also remember running a database
program called Personal Pearl. And let us not forget Lotus 123.

Mikkel