Addressing a SCSI film-scanner - SUCCESS!

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Mar 9 23:18:11 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 13:12 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Depends on the card: some of them will have up to three separate
> buses: two completely separate internal SCSI buses (channels), and one
> external. In that case, the card will always be at the end of (and
> terminate) all buses, and adding external devices won't affect the
> internal ones.

Even that's no compulsion that a card will *always* be at the end of a
chain.  It may well be that you have drives throughout a box, and it's
easiest to connect the ribbon cable to the card somewhere in the middle
of the transmission line.

Box upper section with externally accessible drive bays
CD-ROM    -+
HDD caddy -+

     Host -+

      HDD -+
      HDD -+
               +- HDD
Lower box section with internal drive bays

Even with multiple channels available on a card you mightn't want to use
them all, or you might be using them all and have to wind cables around
like I've just outlined.

I read messages from the public lists.