incomplete passwd file

Thomas Widhalm widhalmt at unix.sbg.ac.at
Fri Mar 10 09:14:07 UTC 2006

Hi!

We encountered a rather strange problem. One of our servers (RHAS 4, NIS
client, NFS client) lost parts of its /etc/passwd . Within some hours
only the end of the passwd file was remaining, meaning that root, system
users and some important users were missing! So we could not log in via
ssh or locally.

We booted from CD copying a backup over the passwd file.

Anyway, we want to know, how this could happen. The server lost
connection to NIS and NFS before this problem appeared (NIS and NFS
server crashing)

Did any of you encounter this?

Regards,
Thomas

* Thomas Widhalm                             Unix Administrator *
* University of Salzburg                       ITServices (ITS) *
* Systems Management                               Unix Systems *
* Hellbrunnerstr. 34                     5020 Salzburg, Austria *
* widhalmt at unix.sbg.ac.at                     +43/662/8044-6774 *
* gpg: 6265BAE6                                                 *
* http://www.sbg.ac.at/zid/organisation/mitarbeiter/widhalm.htm *