Cruel portal to Another World

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Mar 10 15:54:06 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 15:37 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> Hi folks -
>
> Thought it might be entertaining to enjoy for a moment the case of
> mistaken identity that gave me this in my inbox briefly (follows).  Hard
> on its heels came this from the mailing list scouring, bonus-hungry Ravi
>
> > Hi Andy
> >
> > Sorry, I wrongly assumed you worked at Redhat
> > Please accept my humble apologies[1] - havent had my coffee yet this
> > morning.....  :-)
> >
> > Cheers!
>
> I confess - prior to being ejected by the decaffinated Ravi - I ran a
> special dream movie about being relocated by PURE MONEY, untainted by
> any human influence, to some cocktail-sipping otherworld where Geeks
> stride mightily over the land, revered by all, toasted by Zurich
> society, lusted after by hot women, sycophanted up to the eyebrows, etc.
>
> Dave Jones wrote about a similar attack on RHAT staff (although he had
> the advantage of the offers being genuine)
>
> http://kernelslacker.livejournal.com/35615.html

----
as one who got one of these (not the sorry, I thought you were a Red Hat
employee) but the original recruiting probe from 'Ravi' - I didn't know
how much energy and thought went into the selection process that 'Ravi'
employed. My guess is that Google will somehow appreciate his initiative
and doesn't concern themselves with the mechanics unless it somehow
reflects poorly upon Google themselves.

Of course I did the the smart thing with my copy...I forwarded to one of
my better customers and suggested that Google wanted me for the purposes
of implied extortion for more money  ;-)

They probably are hiring - he's obviously just someone with an idea of
how to find Linux sysadmins in numbers.

As for sipping cocktails in Zurich...do you need Google to get you
there?

Craig