Samba problem needs translation

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Mar 10 20:46:20 UTC 2006

On Friday 10 March 2006 20:30, Craig White wrote:

> I probably would...it settles the election issues. If there are other
> samba servers, you 'might' want to set them to use 'wins server =
> ip_addr_of_samba_based_wins_server'
>
> I should point out though that man smb.conf /wins support
> recommends that you not even bother turning it on for a single subnet at
> all. Thus, don't go by me...I ALWAYS have it turned on but I ALWAYS use
> domain logons, roaming profiles, etc...the things that make a Windows
> network more robust and it's easiest for users if they can simply go to
> 'My Network Places' and browse the network quickly/smoothly.
>
> There is another option *if* you have only WinNT, Win2K, WinXP type
> Windows systems (i.e. no Win95/Win98/WinME) and that is not to use any
> NetBIOS at all...turn off netbios on all the Windows systems and remove
> the WINS support entry and then all name resolution should be done
> through a local DNS server. WINS and browser elections and the like are
> all about NetBIOS and with NetBIOS completely shut off...that ends the
> discussion altogether. That would be the quieter/faster method but
> probably more work to set up.

There's a lot to think about there, Craig.  Tomorrow I'll start with the
dual-boot laptop and take a look at these issues.  I think there is one Win98
box sporadically used, but I can probably get that out of the picture this
weekend.

This is a 3-generation family LAN, so necessarily family politics have to be
considered.  I doubt if you would be happy if your mother-in-law wanted to
change something on your box when you feel that you don't have a problem ;-)
That being the position, I'm not sure that I will be able to do anything
about the W2K box.  I'd love to get my hands on it - I'm sure that it is
hugely misconfigured, but I have to accept reality.

Anne