FC4->FC5 upgrade options

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 11 03:42:34 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 04:15 +0100, Albert A. Modderkolk wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 18:40 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 20:11 -0500, Jack Howarth wrote:
> [snip]
> > ----
> > if /home is on a separate partition, there is no need to deal with any
> > of that....just leave the /home partition alone with the 'upgrade'. You
> > should note though that things have been changing in the attributes of
> > the filesystems such as SELinux and ext3 and extended attributes which
> > an 'upgrade' may leave less than optimal while a completely clean
> > install obviously has no obstacles creating a house in order.
>
> When I installed FC4, I tried to partition several file systems but
> failed.  The artitioner didn't let me do it so I let it do what it
> wanted...  I have now one LVM.  So... you are saying that if I
> backup /home, do a fresh install and restore the /home backup I should
> be OK? I'll lose those in /etc (e.g., php.ini) and also my httpd.conf.
> How about my ADSL config?
----
LVM is 1 virtual partition - not the same thing.

yes, if you back up /home, you can restore it - watch the user id's
though...the first boot on a fresh install has you create a user Not
root and that will be user 500 and they are numbered in order from
creation (501, 502, etc.) and that uid is what is actually used for
ownership of files...as in /home/craig is owned by user craig (500)
group dom_users (501)

yes, you would also lose things like httpd.conf, php.ini, adsl
configuration unless you back those up too.

of course, if you backup first, then try to upgrade...it might just work
out well and that will be that. If things break, you can wipe it all out
and start over since you have the backup. A good backup means all
options are available to you.
----

> I think I'll buy another disk (although my current 250GB should have
> been enough for the next few years for a dual-boot) provided that the
> installer supports a /dev/sdb (saw some notes that there are problems
> there).
>
> Albert
>
> P.S.  Why are things always moved around?  I am going crazy enough
> between my home FC4, my production server SUSE 9 end test server SUSE
> 10...
----
things changed from 2.4 kernels to 2.6 kernels, SuSE is in rapid form of
design as is Red Hat / Fedora which probably accounts for why things are
moved around.

If you don't want change - don't upgrade  ;-)

Craig